Monday, 13 June 2011

A Tribute to my American Roots (the first of many)

I have grown up on Peanut Butter. Until a few years ago, Skippy (obviously) was my go-to PB, but sadly British supermarkets don't stock it anymore, and even if they do, my goodness is it expensive. 


So now I live off of this stuff. It's not the same but its still pretty good.

 I found these today on cookiemadness.net and am going to play around with them a little more. I present to you 
No-Bake Grape Nut Peanut Butter Squares. These make very good snacks, and because of the fibre from the Grape Nuts and protein from the PB they're very guilt free! 


You'll find the original recipe here at www.cookiemadness.net/2011/06/no-bake-grape-nuts-peanut-butter-bars/ My changes are changing up the sugar types and quantities and adding in cinnamon. 




This is my version so far:

1/3 cup peanut butter, your choice which brand
1/3 cup golden syrup (white corn syrup in the States)
1/4 cup brown s
ugar (I mixed light and dark)
1 1/3 overflowing cups of Grape Nuts
Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with a loaf liner or baking parchment
In a medium sized microwave-safe bowl, mix together the peanut butter, golden syrup, sugar. Microwave on medium for one minute, stir thoroughly, then microwave for another minute. Pour in the cereal, stir to make sure everything is thoroughly combined, then tip it all into your lined pan. Press into a bar, let it cool (refrigeration speeds this up), then slice into 8 squares.


I've noticed that even just over the course of a couple of hours the peanut butteriness has developed considerably, and they don't taste as syrupy either.
And after being left over night in the fridge, the sickly sweetness from the syrup had almost entirely been replaced by a lovely peanuty crunch. Yum.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave any comments or ideas - they're always appreciated!